ULTIMATE CINCO DE MAYO PORK TACO RECIPE
Posted in Dinner, Lunch, Trending on May 2017
Posted in Dinner, Lunch, Trending
Look no further…simply the BEST!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
- 1 ancho chile, cored and seeded (if using dried chile, rehydrate with hot water for 15 minutes)
- 2 oz achiote paste (found in Latin markets (I like El Yucateco)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice, strained and pulp removed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 jalapenos, cored, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, ask butcher to trim and quarter meat
- Corn tortillas
- Head of Iceberg or container of Butter Leaf Lettuces, rinsed, dried and leave separated
- For Pineapple Slaw
- 1 head of purple or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and heated through
- 8 oz pineapple chunks, diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin live oil
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed, patted dry and chopped
- Break up achiote paste inside a mortar and pestle. Add sliced ancho chile and citrus juices. Set aside.
- Combine remaining marinade ingredients, except the bay leaves, in a large bowl. Add ancho paste mix to marinade. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Add bay leaves. Reserve 1 cup of marinade in a separate small bowl.
- Pour marinade over prepared and seasoned pork inside a glass bowl or large ziploc baggy. Marinate overnight for best results or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Wrap marinated pork in aluminum foil. Place inside a large baking pan or Dutch oven with lid on. Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours on low heat. While pork cooks, mix all slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Check to see if pork is fork-tender and pulls apart easily. Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling. Using hands or two forks, shred meat into strips, approximately 1/4-inch thick. Remove and discard any excess fat.
- Pour remaining reserved achiote marinade over cooked pork. Season meat, again, with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve pulled pork on corn tortillas or wrapped inside Butter Leaf or Iceberg lettuce leaves topped with slaw.