Posted in Dinner, DWEH, Lunch, Mindy and Students, Recipes, Trending
Need to shake those winter blues? Our vitamin-C rich Citrus and Fennel Salad is Fun. Easy. Fresh!
CITRUS, FENNEL AND FLOWER SALAD
Prepared in 10 minutes or less.
- 1 large orange, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and ends trimmed
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs freshly squeezed citrus juices
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup Spanish Marcona almonds, chopped (walnuts can be substituted here)
- Edible flowers for garnish
- Hold an orange over a large bowl and cut along the white pith on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and place them into a large sieve. Repeat with the grapefruit. Squeeze the fruit membranes over the large bowl to extract juices. Reserve the juices in the bottom of the bowl and set aside. Place the fruit segments and thinly sliced fennel in a salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender or small food processor, blend together the oil, basil leaves and 3 tablespoons of the reserved citrus juices until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the fruit and fennel slices. Add the chopped Marcona almonds. Gently toss until all the ingredients are coated. Garnish with edible flowers. Serves 4.