DON’T WORRY, EAT HAPPY: JUICE CLEANSE RECIPES
Posted in DWEH, Sips Smoothies, Trending on July 2016
Posted in DWEH, Sips Smoothies, Trending
I’m a big fan of juicing because it’s yet another way for me to “Eat the Rainbow” and enjoy fruits and veggies while satisfying my thirst and hunger. It’s also a great way to detox after a little too much indulging this summer. Ice cream or wine, anyone?
If you’re not big into fruits and vegetables, juicing is a sure-fire way to incorporate them into your diet; but, you’re still lacking the fiber you need. Be careful to watch the calories when using a lot of fruit in juicing recipes. Vegetable juices tend to be lower in calorie. You can also cut juices with proteins like almond milk and flax seed.
Here are some tips on choosing a juicer:
- Find juicer with a stainless steel blade.
- Look for a wide feed tube and a cup large enough for 18 oz of liquid.
- Types include masticating; centrifugal and press.
Here are your end of summer juice cleanse recipes:
WATERMELLOW GINGER JUICE
- 1 lbs fresh watermelon piece, seeds removed, discard rind
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- Juice the watermelon. In a blender puree the juice with mint and fresh ginger. Pour into a tall chilled glass. Serves 1.
TOMATO TUMMY TONIC JUICE
- 4 tomatoes, stalks and core removed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 4 – 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbs agave honey
- 3 ice cubes, crushed
- Juice the tomatoes, garlic and chopped sage. Gently stir in agave honey. Pour this sweet, hot and spicy juice over crushed ice in a tumbler glass. Garnish with celery stick, fresh sage leaf or basil. Serves 1.
- 1beetroot,leaves intact
- 1 medium carrot, rinsed and top removed
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- Juice all ingredients. Stir. Pour into a chilled tumbler. Serves 1.
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 green apple, cored and chopped
- 4 – 6 fresh mint leaves
- In a juicer, combine all ingredients. Stir. Pour into chilled highball glass. Garnish with cucumber disc. This creamy cleanser with bright minty freshness helps improve skin, nails and hair, too! Serves 1.
- 2 slightly under-ripe pears, cored and halved (skins intact)
- 1 Tbs toasted pine nuts
- In a hot pan over medium heat, gently toast pine nuts to help release their oils and aromas. Set aside to cool. Juice pears. Puree juice in a blender with toasted nuts. Pour into a tall chilled glass. Serves 1.